Pour nous contacter : soyez au rendez-vous sur IRC ! ⋅ Parcourir l'archive musicale Dogmazic ⋅ Notre Blog
Notre Documentation

New CC webradio project

Hello,

Me and some friends of mine we would like to create an international CC webradio.

More info are here: www.kapipal.com/intwebradio

If you like this project contribute to it and share it on Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks

Réponses

• Great ! A commercial radio aiming at fostering free culture !

Just a few suggestions :

-there's other licenses, outside Creative Commons, like Free Art license which is very close to cc-by-sa, and many others, you'll be able to find most of them on Dogmazic.

-seems obvious, but since your radio is a commercial one, you'll need a grant from the right owners (in most cases, the artists) to be able to broadcast and offer for download music that is licensed under a license that has a 'non commercial use only' clause (like the NC variants of Creative Commons licences).

-A nice thing you may do, is to indicate : 'license infos are to be found on our website' in the stream title, and even better, you can add the license url in the 'comment' id3 tag of each song. Communicating to the audience the conditions under which a track is available is an obligation with many licenses.

-please note that Creative Commons content does not automatically implies that it will be available for free download. There's a few content creators that use these licenses for things that are sold.

-in many cases, you'll have to broadcast the tracks in their entirety. Please get in touch for more information about this point.

-beware of versions 3.0 of CC, which states 'if there's illegal contents (samples or other elements used without permission) in the track, the artists will not be responsible. It's up to the public to search and inform himself' , while with version 2.0 and 2.5 the artist remain responsible.

-since your radio is a commercial one, it could be a good idea to ask from artists a kind of contract specifying they are not registered to any right collection society that would ask you to pay some rights. There's not-very-clean artists that do this kind of very poor practice. Because your radio is commercial, it can be seen as bankable and the right collection societies may check your playlist.

Just a few tips from a webradio maintainer. Best wishes for your crowdfunding.
  • Few stuffs that crossed my mind :

- Why Creative commons only? There's a LOT of other free and open-source licence

- "and there is no quality." : what is "quality" ?

- "with a small quantity of ads" : can't you think of a better way to make your radio live? Have you planned what it will cost to maintain it?

- "green economy, free software and open source, fair trade, microcredits..." : here are a bunch of aweful words... They are what capitalism uses to speak about himsefl in a pretty way. those are overused and overrated themes... no great shakes.

Overall, there really too few informations here : who, what, how, where? Who supports you? Why did you decided to go CC? Why a radio? Why 10 000€ (that's an aweful lot of money for a computer and a couple of good mics)?

My opinion : mature the whole thing, talk to people involved in free arts (I mean REALLY involed : artists, label, etc... with a strong background... Many people speaks about em without knowing a thing) then come back.
  • Thanks shangril for your suggestions.

Thanks Tumulte for your post. Some replies here:
    Tumulte écrit:
    - Why Creative commons only? There's a LOT of other free and open-source licence

Yes, we thought to CC licences because are most popular free licences. We will add Free Art licences and other similar licences
    Tumulte écrit:
    "and there is no quality." : what is "quality" ?

We think about stream and content quality. e.g. range of topics
    Tumulte écrit:
    "with a small quantity of ads" : can't you think of a better way to make your radio live? Have you planned what it will cost to maintain it?

Yes, but the stream costs are only a part of global costs. There are legal costs, website hosting costs, team costs, office costs... we would create a webradio similar to fm radios.
    Tumulte écrit:
    "green economy, free software and open source, fair trade, microcredits..." : here are a bunch of aweful words... They are what capitalism uses to speak about himsefl in a pretty way. those are overused and overrated themes... no great shakes.

It's a suggestion...but listeners can suggest to us others. We choose it because we think are important but not discussed into relevant radios (fm or web)
    Tumulte écrit:
    Overall, there really too few informations here : who, what, how, where? Who supports you? Why did you decided to go CC? Why a radio? Why 10 000€ (that's an aweful lot of money for a computer and a couple of good mics)?

OK. We are some italian friends. We are enemployed but we love music and would like to transform an hobby into a work. Nobody support us, the radio will start with crowdfunding funds only first, with adv revenue later. We decided to go CC because we know CC for a long time , and we want to involve more people to free culture.
    I created two no-profit webradio in the past (one is in the signature) using free platform and I love radio, My friends are bloggers or technology and internet enthusiasts...
    The sum of 10 000 € is the minimum for italian low to create a company, like we want to do. Put adv into website without personal firm or company are forbidden
  • Thanks for the informations. The minimal amount of money for creating an Italian company is a clear explanation for you wanting to raise 10K€.

Also, if you want to have your own office, I understand there will be huge costs.

But, (this is probably useless to warn you about this point because you are an experienced webradio maintainer, but anyway) be aware of the fact that it is very, very difficult for webradios to obtain listeners. Far beyond what my English can express.

Also, about your suggestion to share your crowdfunding page on FB & Twttr, Facebook is having less and less active users, and Twitter, I don't know how long it will stand, but there's so much SPAM on it that there's very few people to actually click on links featured. The best way to connect with involved people, nowadays, is very certainly Diaspora, which is currently a small community, but with an involvement level among its member that is far greater in magnitude than on any other service I tried so far. Here's a Diaspora 'pod' (server, all of them are interconnected) that accepts sign-ups without invite http://diasp.org . If by chance you wish to join, just post a few messages with public visibility and a few relevant #hashtags, you'll get feedback, this is pretty much sure. Please note that many people on Diaspora are very free culture friendly (this, said, without wanting to make a thumb rule from a few isolated cases).

Ajouter un commentaire

GrasItaliqueBarréListe ordonnéeListe non ordonnée
Emoji
Aligner à gaucheCentrer le texteAligner à droiteBasculer en code HTMLBasculer en mode plein écranAllumer les lumières
Déplacer image/fichier