Pour nous contacter : soyez au rendez-vous sur IRC ! ⋅ Parcourir l'archive musicale Dogmazic ⋅ Notre Blog
Notre Documentation

Nelly McKay vs. Sony/Columbia

Sony/Columbia screwed Nelly Mckey. She is an okay singer/songwriter. I like her personality (heard her interview once)

Columbia obviously is afraid of the 'content' of what Nelly is saying (gay marriage, animal right)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/03/arts/music/03nell.html

Nellie McKay, a young singer-songwriter whose 2004 album, "Get Away From Me," was one of the most acclaimed pop debuts in recent years, says she has been dropped by Columbia Records just as her follow-up was scheduled to reach stores. While Ms. McKay had been negotiating for some time with the label over the length and final song selection of "Pretty Little Head" - which was supposed to be released today - she says the decision not to put out the album was a result of a recent executive shake-up at Columbia, and "had more to do with my personality" than with the album itself.

The London-born, Harlem-based Ms. McKay had been fighting with the label over her insistence on a 23-song, 65-minute version of the album; Columbia was pressing for a 16-song, 48-minute version. (The two-CD "Get Away From Me" has been called the first double-disc set ever released by a debut artist.) At recent shows, Ms. McKay had given out the personal e-mail address of the Columbia chairman, Will Botwin, from the stage, encouraging fans to lobby him for the release of the longer album. "I thought we had resolved things favorably," Ms. McKay said. "We were just finalizing the artwork."

But last month the Sony Label Group, which owns Columbia, underwent a corporate restructuring; Mr. Botwin left the company and was replaced by the former Epic Records chairman Steve Barnett. After that, Ms. McKay said, her lawyer received a phone call informing them that Columbia would not be releasing "Pretty Little Head" in any form. (Representatives from Columbia said that no one could be reached for comment because of the holidays.)

"Whoever called to tell us said that she hadn't actually heard the album," Ms. McKay said in a telephone interview on Sunday, "and said that 'this isn't about the music' - which I thought was really funny. The conventional wisdom is that the music industry is money-driven, but this actually had nothing to do with money, it was an artistic disagreement." Ms. McKay, in fact, fronted the money for the album's recording sessions as a way to keep her record company at arm's length.

"Pretty Little Head," which features duets with Cyndi Lauper and K. D. Lang and songs addressing gay marriage and animal rights, had already been provided to the press, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Spin magazine called the 21-year-old artist "a sharp-eared satirist" and said the album was "not only a testament to McKay's talent, it's also a tribute to her artistic sense." In a four-star review, Blender described Ms. McKay's sound - which is inflected with both cabaret style and hip-hop flow - as "indie musical comedy," and said that "McKay is pushing forward the craft of the song, connecting Tin Pan Alley to Ben Folds and De La Soul." (Ms. McKay said that getting such press without actually having an album for sale is "kind of nice, because people can just read the reviews and then not be disappointed.")

Ajouter un commentaire

GrasItaliqueBarréListe ordonnéeListe non ordonnée
Emoji
Aligner à gaucheCentrer le texteAligner à droiteBasculer en code HTMLBasculer en mode plein écranAllumer les lumières
Déplacer image/fichier